Salt Lake Valley Emergency Communications Center is a value based, principle driven organization which was organized as a government agency on June 13, 1988 pursuant to the provisions of the Utah Interlocal Cooperation Act. It is a joint enterprise between Murray City, Salt Lake County, South Jordan City, South Salt Lake City, West Jordan City, and West Valley City. The primary purpose of the Center is to fund and operate a communications center which handles certain emergency communications and other services for the member communities, including 911 services, and police, fire and medical dispatching.
As an employee of the Center you will be asked to subscribe to, accept and incorporate the principles of leadership and the values which create our organizational culture. The Center encourages an environment which fosters open communications and innovation among its employees.
Requirements for Employment
To be considered for employment you must meet the following requirements:
• Submit a completed and signed application, including a list of all work experience for the past ten years.
• You must be at least 18 years of age.
• You must be a High School graduate or have your GED.
• Be able to type 40 words per minute net. VECC will administer type tests to interested applicants. Call 801-840-4100 to schedule an appointment.
• Possess clear oral communications skills.
• Demonstrate the ability to act and think clearly in emergency or pressure situations. Testing will be performed to assess this ability.
• Possess the skills or abilities necessary to operate radio and telephone communication equipment.
• Be prepared to work day, swing, and graveyard shifts, as well as holidays and weekends.
• A background investigation will be conducted on all applicants considered for employment.
• A multitasking skills test will be administered.
• An oral interview and a drug screen test will be given prior to employment.
• Prior dispatch experience is preferred, but not necessary.
• Any training, education, or certification which is relevant (such as CPR, EMD, or other POST training, etc..) would be helpful, but is not required.
We are now hiring for Communications Officer