Salt Lake Valley Emergency Communications Center (VECC) is now hiring a full time Public Safety Communication Officer I (9-1-1 Call Taker) to join our public safety team in West Valley City, UT. The Public Safety Communication Officer I will work in a fast-paced environment, working both individually and in a team environment to answer and process emergency and non-emergency phone calls and text messages. We are constantly looking for qualified people.
911 Call Taker Job Description
TITLE: PUBLIC SAFETY COMMUNICATION OFFICER
REPORTS TO: Public Safety Operation Supervisor
APPROVAL AUTHORITY: Director
CAREER PROGRESSION TO: Public Safety Communication Officer I
STEP RANGE: $15.19 to $15.68
FLSA: Non Exempt
PROBATIONARY PERIOD: 12 Months
EEO DESIGNATION: Administrative
SUMMARY/GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION:
Under general supervision of the Training Coordinator and Shift Supervisor, employee will learn and become competent to receive, process and transmit routine non-emergency and emergency calls for police, fire, medical responders and other public safety departments via telephone and other communication devices.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Receive requests for police, fire and medical service by phone and answer routine 9-1-1 emergency and complaint telephone calls. This position is responsible for obtaining and gathering data concerning the authenticity, nature, and location of the incident and caller’s identity; based on established operating procedures. Determines if the situation requires a dispatch of departmental personnel and equipment and/or relays the information to appropriate department or agency.
- Evaluates speech and emotional state of caller. Takes action necessary to calm caller, provides advice, counsel, assistance, and referral services as required by the circumstances.
- Reads and interprets information on dispatch console screen to determine the reliability of dispatch priority assigned to incident, the accuracy of assignment, and the order in which calls should be dispatched.
- Determines priorities of calls and transmits information and assigns units in the field and determines if follow-up action is necessary.
- Operates computer terminal to transmit or receive police record information.
- Ability to take information from multiple sources regarding an ongoing situation and produce an accurate narrative with key elements and facts.
- Ability to listen and/or give instructions while quickly and accurately entering information using a keyboard.
- Ability to remember and accurately transcribe spoken information including names, addresses, sequences of letters and numbers, descriptions and directions.
- Relays medical and other instructions to field units according to established protocols.
- Maintains appropriate records and prepares reports of activities occurring during shift.
- Emergency dispatching of other public service agencies as needed to actively prevent or detect crime and enforce criminal statues or ordinances of the state of Utah or any of its political subdivisions.
- Response to situations involving threats to public safety and making emergency decisions affecting the lives and health of others.
- Performs duties that consist of providing community protection and communicates with the public, user agencies, and outside agencies in a courteous, effective and in a professional manner.
- Ability to work on any shift, any day of the year including holidays, and to work mandatory overtime as necessitated by events of the day or for anticipated heavy service load events/shifts.
- Demonstrates an ability to effectively listen, speak and write and interact within a diverse workgroup and with emergency personnel.
- Demonstrates ability to maintain a professional demeanor in complex or difficult situations and ability to produce clear, written correspondence.
- Cultivate and maintain a climate that is free of harassment, intimidation, and disrespect.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned.
Work schedule requires overtime, nights, evenings, weekends, and/or holidays. Work is confined to an immediate work area that requires continuous staffing. Sit for long periods, using telephones, and computers. Time is spent at computer display terminals, viewing monitors and observing traffic patterns. Work involves sensitive telephone contact with the members of the public, who may be hostile, emotional, unstable, or physically or mentally distraught. This position requires the ability to deal with times of high stress due to medical and other emergencies. Light physical effort required. Regularly required to sit or stand, bend and move about the facility.
JOB REQUIREMENTS (Education, Experience, Professional Affiliations)
- High school diploma or G.E.D. and 18 years of age.
- Typing speed of 40 net WPM.
- Excellent writing skills, including spelling and grammar, and concise paraphrasing skills.
- Must obtain EMD/EFD/EPD/CPR certifications within three months of employment.
- Must obtain BCI and Peace Officer Standard and Training (P.O.S.T) certifications within six months of employment.
- Ability to speak in clear and concise English. Able to understand and follow complex verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to learn to operate a variety of radio, computer, telephone and other communication devices.
- Ability to think clearly and critically and act quickly in emergency or stressful situations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with co-workers, supervisors, fire fighters, police officers, personnel from other agencies, the public and provide effective customer service. Strong interpersonal skills
- Successful completion of drug screen and background check.
- Must complete 36 hours of continuing education and/or recurrent raining as approved by the Training Coordinator or Managers.
- Able to complete all mandated training requirements per management directives.
Please complete an application.
If you would like to apply for the Communications Officer position, please print the application and return it to Tammy Scantlin at
5360 Ridge Village Dr
West Valley City, Utah 84118